Thursday, December 29, 2011

Stealing People's ideas

Artists steal from each other all the time.

I love looking at other artists work to get ideas. Sometimes I copy part, or all, of a painting or drawing so I can learn how artists better than me do things.  This type of stuff no one sees but me, but it's in my brain somewhere.

Other times I look at other artists just to get inspired. Ask, how do they draw, expressions, wrinkles, shoes, or compose a picture?

PJ Lynch, and artist I am often inspired by, had a really great example on his blog a while back called "Inspired by Dulac".  I really enjoy seeing how he incorporated another artists way of using space into his image.

When I created the Little Match Girl, and Cinderella illustrations I wanted it to be an exercise on using space the way Lisbeth Zwerger does. She creates paintings with beautiful areas of empty space. I really enjoyed working that way and hope I can incorporate more of that in my work in the future. Here is a link to an interview she gave about her art.



How are you inspired by other artists?



The winner of last week's giveaway is...
... Camilla!
(winner was chosen completely at random by drawing numbers from a bowl)
please email me at illustration(at)manelleoliphant(dot)com with your name and mailing address, and I will send you your prize 

So if you didn't win there is one more chance. (once you have won you are no longer eligible to enter again but feel free to spread the word. ;)
Or, if you don't want to wait check out my print shop or card shop to get your own Manelle art right away.

Here is what you can win.
Three illustrated art prints. They are printed on Epson Velvet fin art paper and signed by me.
They are in two sizes one 5.75x8.5 and two 13x8.5 prints.  (not standard frame sizes)

To enter this contest here is what you need to do.

1. Comment below before Midnight MST on January 2, 2012 (p.s Happy New Year)

You can comment anything but if you need a jump start I'd love to hear about ways art inspires you in any way.

2. Tweet or Facebook status a link back to this blog post.

I'll announce the winner next Thursday.
Good luck everyone. 


Love this art? Buy Prints or Cards and Gifts illustrated by Manelle.

5 comments:

  1. I also love Lisbeth Zwerger--she figures prominently on my shelf of inspiring picture book illustrators!

    Happy New Year to you, too!

    (I tweeted a link.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art inspires me to want to win art giveaways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love Zwerger's artwork. I have several of her picture books. Art often inspires story ideas!
    ladyofnarnia(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful blog manelle. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That ends the give away everyone! Thanks for participating. I'll announce this weeks winner on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...